House Bill 4701: State employee retirement reform
Eliminate “defined benefit” post-retirement health insurance for new state employees, and instead offer a “defined contribution” Health Reimbursement Account (HRA).
• House Roll Call 455 on November 3, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 746 on December 7, 2011.
House Bill 5002: Workers comp reforms
Modify requirements and benefits in the law that mandates employers obtain insurance covering injured workers compensation benefits.
• House Roll Call 445 on November 2, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 759 on December 7, 2011.
House Bill 5002: Warren amend: Water-down workers comp reform
To essentially strip out the workers comp reform bill's most substantive provisions related to the definitions of "disabled" and the duties of partially-disabled workers.
• Senate Roll Call 748 on December 7, 2011.
Senate Bill 806: Unemployment benefits reform
Reform unemployment insurance payroll taxes, alternative work requirements; job-search reporting; ineligibility factors (like stealing or absenteeism); and more.
• House Roll Call 591 on December 14, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 733 on December 1, 2011.
Senate Bill 619: Lift "cyberschool" enrollment cap
Eliminate a cap of 1,000 students alloweed in online charter "cyberschools," and allow more than two of these.
• Senate Roll Call 605 on October 27, 2011.
Senate Bill 618: Eliminate charter school cap
Eliminate a cap of 150 on the number of charter schools chartered by universities, and other restrictions.
• House Roll Call 603 on December 14, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 564 on October 6, 2011.
House Bill 4929: Ban school union dues deductions
To prohibit school districts from using taxpayer resources (including their payroll processing systems) to deduct union dues or fees from employees’ pay, and then sending the money to a union.
• House Roll Call 333 on September 15, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 119 on March 7, 2012.
Senate Bill 7: Require government employee health copay
To require government employees to contribute at least 20 percent toward the cost of their health insurance benefits, with; local governments but not schools could waive this with a two-thirds vote of their governing body.
• House Roll Call 298 on June 30, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 214 on May 18, 2011.
Senate Bill 7: Amendment: Allow no school employee health copay
To let school boards waive Senate Bill 7's employee health benefit copay requirement.
• Senate Roll Call 211 on May 18, 2011.
Senate Bill 485: Ban municipal “minimum staffing requirements”
To prohibit local governments from adopting mearures that impose any minimum staffing requirement on the number of its government employees.
• House Roll Call 282 on June 30, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 456 on August 24, 2011.
House Bill 4625: Teacher tenure reform
To revise the standards for granting a public school teacher “tenure,” and streamline the procedures for taking it away.
• House Roll Call 169 on June 9, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 438 on June 30, 2011.
House Bill 4626: Make firing bad teacher easier
To allow firing a teacher “for a reason that is not arbitrary and capricious,” rather than the previous standard, "for reasonable and just cause,” which is very subjective and led to endless litigation.
• House Roll Call 295 on June 30, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 440 on June 30, 2011.
House Bill 4626: Rocca amendment to make firing teachers harder
To strip out the provision allowing a teacher to be fired for “for a reason that is not arbitrary and capricious," rather than requiring the employer to demonstrate the firing is for a "reasonable and just cause."
• Senate Roll Call 439 on June 30, 2011.
House Bill 4627: Ban laying off less senior teachers first
To prohibit public schools from using seniority as the primary or determining factor when making layoff or recall decisions.
• House Roll Call 171 on June 9, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 442 on June 30, 2011.
House Bill 4572: Cap government employee health benefit costs
To give less state money to local governments, public schools, colleges and universities if they provide employee health insurance benefits that cost more than amounts specified in the bill.
• House Roll Call 236 on June 23, 2011.
House Bill 4628: Ban school union staffing decision bargaining
To prohibit public school employee unions from bargaining over staffing decisions, including assignments, promotions, demotions, transfers, layoffs, methods for assessing “effectiveness,” discipline and merit pay systems.
• House Roll Call 172 on June 9, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 443 on June 30, 2011.
Senate Bill 165: Ban project labor agreements
To prohibit "project labor agreements" in state, school and local public construction, road projects, etc., or as a condition of selective tax breaks granted for private projects.
• House Roll Call 255 on June 29, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 293 on June 16, 2011.
House Bill 4152: Limit automatic government pay hikes
To establish that when a government employee union contract has expired and no replacement has been negotiated, any seniority-based automatic pay hikes for individual employees (“step increases”) may not occur.
• House Roll Call 32 on March 10, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 208 on May 18, 2011.
House Bill 4325: Trim school funding; tie to reforms
To adopt 2012 school, community college and state university budgets that reduce spending by modest amounts, and tie state dollars to reforms, including labor reforms. This vote considered an indication of willingness to reform vs. protect government school establishment status quo.
• House Roll Call 154 on May 26, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 257 on May 26, 2011.
House Bill 4152: Gregory amedment: Don't limit automatic pay hikes
To strip out the provision in House Bill 4152 to prohibit retroactive pay hikes and "step" increases from lapsed union contracts.
• Senate Roll Call 205 on May 18, 2011.
House Bill 4408: Reduce unemployment benefits
To reduce from 26 weeks to 20 weeks the amount of time that laid off employees can collect state unemployment insurance benefits, which will forestall payroll tax hikes.
• House Roll Call 55 on March 23, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 82 on March 23, 2011.
House Bill 4214: Let emergency managers modify union contracts
To give Emergency Managers appointed to fiscally failing municipalities and school districts the power to cancel or amend existing government or school employee union collective bargaining agreements.
• House Roll Call 34 on March 15, 2011.
• Senate Roll Call 52 on March 9, 2011.
House Bill 4059: Ban putting union stewards on public payroll
To ban government or school employee union contracts that pay employees who are union officials for time they spend on the job conducting union business. Note: The Senate's failure to vote is counted as "wrong" vote by all Senators, because it is allowing this practice to continue using taxpayer dollars to pay for union work.
• House Roll Call 76 on April 14, 2011.
House Bill 4003: Ban “stealth" unionization
To establish that a person whose private employment compensation comes from a direct or indirect government subsidy is not considered a government employee, and so is not subject be being inducted into a government employee union. Note: The Senate's failure to vote is counted as "wrong" vote by all Senators, because it is allowing millions to keep flowing into SEIU union coffers.
• House Roll Call 166 on June 8, 2011.
This user-created scorecard is available at https://www.michiganvotes.org/VotingIndex.aspx?ID=718.
DISCLAIMER: Scorecards are user-created and do not represent the views of Michigan Votes or the Mackinac Center for Public Policy.
The user/creator is responsible for the scores and the preferred votes.