Michigan Votes Forum

Discuss issues, ideas and legislation related to the Great Lake State.
Welcome to Michigan Votes Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post 02-24-2010 6:40 PM by Mike Hignite. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (24 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-01-2001 12:00 AM

2009 Senate Bill 798 (Raise state income tax )

Introduced in the Senate on September 10, 2009

Click here to view bill details.
  • 09-13-2009 4:34 PM In reply to

Re: 2009 Senate Bill 798 (Raise state income tax )

Need mo money to run the gubmint. Businesses be leaving, wages are down, tax those who jobs haven't yet left the state. Way to go!

• 09-13-2009 4:45 PM In reply to

• ronbo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-11-2009

Great idea! tax the few workers left......what are you thinking? IT's a simple process....create jobs, create income (tax).

• 09-13-2009 6:17 PM In reply to

NO MORE TAXES! How about cutting some of the pork, how about the senators taking a pay cut the way the rest of us have.

Filed under:
  • 09-13-2009 6:27 PM In reply to

• Poppy
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-22-2008

What is it about taxes that the legislators in Lansing cant seem to grasp that we already taxed too much.  Time to throw them all out, and go to a part time State government, including the governor.  And while we are at it how about cleaning out the entrenched beauracrats?

Filed under:
  • 09-14-2009 10:27 AM In reply to

I can't believe Sen. Gleason is representing the views of the people in his district. If he was in mine I'd do what I could to put him in the unemployment line. I think we need to sweep about 80% of this government out and get people in there that will follow the wishes of the folks they're suppose to represent.

• 09-14-2009 2:32 PM In reply to

"Damn the goose", the legislators say!   They....and too many in government seem to carry on;  "Bleed it, pluck it, cut off its head.  We'll dine on its flesh if at once it dies". 
  • 09-14-2009 3:08 PM In reply to

Governments at every level are out of control!   

The citizens of Michigan elect their representatives to the purpose of providing for a civil and safe society, to protect individual rights and property and to conduct the "legitimate affairs" of state government.  The Michigan legislature has unfortunately become a tool by which the state continues to take more power and authority than reasonable citizens would otherwise grant to it.

The citizens of Michigan DO NOT elect their representatives to the purpose of economically raping the citizens and businesses who pay for government salaries and benefits!  The citizens of Michigan DO NOT exist to be servants of the state!  The citizens of Michigan DO NOT desire for the state to redistribute incomes for social and political purposes!

State government created the current budget crisis and much of the current economic mess by its "tax & spend" practices.  The simple truth is that most of those in state government today are not capable of making the tough decisions that were pre-ordained by the wasteful acts of their predecessors. 

State government must stop taking money from productive businesses and citizens for redistribution to projects, programs, people and special interests.

The answer to our current circumstances is not more taxes of any kind.  THE ANSWER IS FOR STATE GOVERNMENT TO DRAMATICALLY CUT SPENDING AND THEN GET OUT OF THE WAY!

During a previous budget crisis, the governor and the legislature told citizens that all possible cuts had been made.  THEY LIED.....AND THEY CONTINUE TO LIE!

The MEDC is a great example.  An opportunity to save over $31 Million, the legislature can show Michigan businesses and citizens some respect and responsibility....KILL THE MICHIGAN ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION!  The MEDC has been an abject failure, a con and an insult to every taxpayer in this state. 

During the last budget crisis, Senator Deb Cherry proposed a $4,000 per student college scholarship that was passed and added millions of dollars to that budget.  Legislators are now squealing at the thought of eliminating that so-called "scholarship".  No justification whatsoever can be provided for the "taking" of money from Michigan families to continue supporting such a program!   

The benefits of individual liberty and personal property are falling beneath the steamroller of out-of-control government at an increasing rate.

There are a growing number of us who are fed-up with poor and self-serving performance by government employees at every level.  I would hope, most likely in vain, that our representatives in Lansing will wake up to reality, cast off their notions of altruism, egalitarianism and relativism and return to the concept of limited government....of, by and for the people. 

Americans have proven throughout the history of the United States that they, of their own accord, are the most generous people in the world.  The   continually escalating and forceful "takings" by Lansing and Washington tell us that our legislators believe otherwise….and they continue to systematically destroy the most independent and wealthy society in the history of the world.   

I suggest that the entire legislature read the portion of the Declaration of Independence that presented the grievances of the colonies to the king of England.  It is instructional to note the number of those issues that apply to our out-of-control state and federal governments today.

• 09-14-2009 4:57 PM In reply to

Unbelievable as it is, Senator John Gleason just picked up a copy of the Declaration of Independence from my restaurant ( www.GilliesConeyisland.com ) last week.!

AND commented on how impressed he was with the people who wrote it!!!

Perhaps everyone should send him another copy with the appropriate parts highlited. Of course, he's a very personable nice guy, SO, perhaps it's time to start electing mean guys? or ANYone at random.

rogers13:
     I suggest that the entire legislature read the portion of the Declaration of Independence that presented the grievances of the colonies

Filed under:
  • 09-14-2009 10:49 PM In reply to

Many in our area and all over Michigan have lost their jobs or taken drastic cuts in pay and benefits. Perhaps the Michigan congress should consider lowering their salaries before taking more from the families of hard-working Michiganders.

• 09-15-2009 2:20 PM In reply to

"Tax the rich, feed the poor, until there are no rich no more."  Ten Years After

Notice how it doesn't say "until there are no poor no more."  Keep it up Michigan Legislators and we can all be equally poor (except for you, of course).

• 09-15-2009 4:21 PM In reply to

• gypsy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009

I'm having a hard time feeling very much sympathy for the rich.

• 09-21-2009 10:58 AM In reply to

"I'm having a hard time feeling sympathy for the rich."  You are drinking the kool aid.  These kool aid drinkers are also accusing many of being racist if anyone disagrees with them.

We must realize that allowing ourselves to view 'the rich' as our enemy is a distraction.  We should be concerned about policies that keep anyone from being rich or enjoying the persuit of the vanishing American dream.  It amazes me that people are so against the people who 'have more' yet they claim to want more.  They seem to feel that getting more happens when we limit the people who 'have what we want' rather then making sure there is nothing legistated that would prevent us from attaining what we want.

Where does it help us get what we want by taxing our groceries and higher income taxes?  If higher taxation was the answer we'd all be on easy street, or are we oblivious to history and facts? There's fees, permits, liciences, rebates, denials of rebates, fines, and myriad other costs to doing anything we want to do on a freakin' daily basis. Check how much is taken out of your payroll and what tax bracket scheme you're in - those are just a baseline of 'costs' or 'taxes' we have taken from us by our kindly legislators. Those are just the ones that are more easy for us to keep track of.  

These "rich'" people you are so worried about are non-existent!!!  Those few at the top can just move their assets somewhere else.  That leaves all the rest of us and obviously you "rich" people haters would have us all share together via gov't leveling your playing field.  Who will help when their is no one else to steal from in order to support these take overs and programs and policies?

Filed under:
  • 09-21-2009 12:52 PM In reply to

Also, my representatives feel that the good news is: They may likely balance the budget without raising taxes. This remains to be seen but we can be hopeful. In todays climate, any Dem outside the Detroit area won't have enough votes to get elected/re-elected to anything if they don't cease and desist!  They know this, that's why Dillion has been talking a bit like a Conservative lately. So, these bills may likely go nowhere. 

They know people are ticked off, can't take anymore, businesses have been forced to leave the state, gov't take over of GM, everyone out of a job except those working in gov't, and they have yet to provide a voucher for educational purposes but will now agree to one for health care...yeah right: They know we will be silent no more!

• 09-21-2009 3:38 PM In reply to

gypsy, no one is asking for sympathy for the rich, please explain to me how making everyone poor benefits the poor.

• 09-22-2009 7:29 AM In reply to

• gypsy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009

Cool-aid comes in many flavors. One of those that seems to be quite popular with some today encourages people to think that the reason some are super wealthy is because they worked harder than everyone else, and if the drinker of this cool-aid would just work harder and longer, they would be wealthy too. It erases the knowledge that over the last decade, corporations and the super wealthy have received tax cuts and lax regulations allowing them to steal from our economy with abandon, erasing budget surpluses, imposing unfunded mandates on states, and putting our economy in serious trouble, while they have walked away with billions.

I certainly don't want to make the rich poor, and don't like paying taxes as much as anyone. But I also realize the dire situation the state is in, and do support many budget cuts. If after these budget cuts, budget cuts that don't harm the integrity of our state, we still need money, an income tax increase is more equitable than a sales tax increase.

• 09-23-2009 9:19 AM In reply to

gypsy, you're confusing business with being a Legislature, which they're not.  You're confusing business/corporations with creating the measure and laws that have been thrust on them by your politicians. The tax cuts and unfunded mandates are created by the politicians who created the higher taxes, where the politicians then can pick and choose who to give a 'break' to if said chosen jump into their pocket.

The insignificant, extremely small group of so called "super wealthy" can walk.  They do what we all wish we could do.  This shouldn't keep of from seeing the actual problem: Some can manuver away from the imposed higher taxes but the great, vast majority are still LEFT to deal with the higher taxes, unfunded mandates, fees, a rose is a rose is a tax by your politician.

Under regulation?  This is total and complete misinformation on your part.

An income tax is not more fair (to say nothing of more legal) and continues to feed the beast. Lowering (even better, eliminating) the income tax, turning to the sales tax enstead...gives the power to the people/consumers and takes it back from our untrustworthy politicians.  We can control what we CHOOSE to spend from our own hand, not so much when our resources have been confiscated by our politicians. 

The reason some politicians don't like lower/elimination of income tax and dealing from the sales tax is because they rightly fear we would starve them out of control in no time.  Which begs the question as to why you don't see this and whose side are you on (them or the people).

I would point out that MI has been doing things your way (the Granholm, Cherry, Dillon, Michael Moore, Levin, Milliken, et al way) for decades, how's that workin' out for ya?

• 09-23-2009 3:00 PM In reply to

Conservatives, Republicans, Patriots, Tea Partiers, freedom and liberty lovers, defenders of our Constitution and precious founding documents, whatever you want to call us, we must unite by voting.  It's crucial to vote in our local elections (those few show up and vote for themselves and we wonder what's wrong as we are too tired/busy due working/paying taxes) as well as General Elections.  We must shake off the apathy (if there's any) and make voting a number one duty.

We've plenty of time to network with like minded individuals, offer to pick them up, and bring the group back home for a shared pizza as a small reward for voting.  Or do a pot luck, or... come on.  We can all make a difference.  We must show up in numbers that cause respect for us rather then politicians demanding respect while calling us names.  Whatever they do they should KNOW they will be paid or penilized at the voting booth, without fail.

If our politicians had half a brain, someone would introduce a rebate of income tax (say, $20.00) for everyone who submits a sticker from their precinct. That's an amendment to a bill I could understand.  Hmmm, I wonder why they don't encourage civic duty so much.  Why, they don't even hardly cover this in H/S anymore.

Filed under:
  • 09-23-2009 3:55 PM In reply to

This sort of behavior is more justification to remove incumbents at the next election.  Citizens are sick and tired of politicians failing to establish and live within realistic budgets.  Instead of assuming responsibility for overly optimistic budgets, frivolous spending and bureaucratic waste, our elected officials view the current economic slump as the perfect justification to raise the income tax ..... again!

• 10-03-2009 8:38 AM In reply to

Hey Brain dead don't you know we are in a rescission????? If you want to save the state some money interduce legislation for all legislator to go to (PART TIME ) and the will save million in the state budget.

• 10-04-2009 12:01 PM In reply to

Brater and Gleason need to take a hike.  The last thing those still managing to hold a job in Michigan need is an income tax hike. Senators' Brater and Gleason should not get too comfortable in holding their cushy, well paid positions.  If their constituents had any sense they would vote them out of office at the next election and have them live in the real world of the private sector. 

• 11-26-2009 10:33 PM In reply to

no way, we are screwed!  income tax calculator

• 11-27-2009 10:16 AM In reply to

• gypsy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-19-2009

Sovereign:
    Which begs the question as to why you don't see this and whose side are you on (them or the people).

I would suggest you mean you don't agree with me, not that I am not on the side of the "people". That would imply that you know what the people want.  You know what you want, and certainly can find people to agree with you, but that in no way makes your position representative of the "people" in general. Some of the people, me being one, don't agree with you.

Sovereign:
    I would point out that MI has been doing things your way (the Granholm, Cherry, Dillon, Michael Moore, Levin, Milliken, et al way) for decades, how's that workin' out for ya?

You forgot to mention someone who was in the Governor's mansion for 12 years prior to Granholm, John Engler. I'm not aware that Michael Moore was elected to any political office here in Michigan, and I didn't vote for Miliken, but thought he did a good job as a Republican governor.

• 02-24-2010 6:40 PM In reply to

I will never understand how taking $10 out of my wallet so that the state can give me $10 worth of services somehow is better than if I take $10 out of my wallet and buy the services myself.

Page 1 of 1 (24 items)