Michigan Votes Forum

Discuss issues, ideas and legislation related to the Great Lake State.
Welcome to Michigan Votes Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search
Latest post 02-15-2010 12:41 PM by randyblock. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-01-2001 12:00 AM

2009 House Bill 4790 (Authorize wrongful imprisonment compensation )

Introduced in the House on April 2, 2009

Click here to view bill details.
  • 04-20-2009 9:10 AM In reply to

Re: 2009 House Bill 4790 (Authorize wrongful imprisonment compensation )

WOW you mean to tell me this law is just now being thought of???? Well I am a strong supporter of this bill. I know too many people who are wrongfully convicted of crimes. One is in prison right now on a crime he know's nothing about and because of some so-called mistaken identity he has served two years so far wrongfully. I would also like to see a bill introduced that will prosecute the prosecutor who gets a conviction of someone if the state did not explore all suspects and possible leads to a suspect before taking someone to trial and destroying their lives.

• 10-26-2009 7:24 PM In reply to

I agree.  My son was sent to prison, he had 3 different public defenders and none of them wanted to take it to trial so they had him plead no contest so he is doing 1 - 15 years for CSC and he is only 21.  I have not been able to get any help at all. 

• 02-15-2010 12:41 PM In reply to

As Americans, we are proud that our justice system uses the notion that a person is considered "innocent until proven guilty", but an estimated 2-14% of all people in our prisons are estimated to be innocent -- at great cost to our State, to the wrongly imprisoned and their families.  Learn more about this tragic problem, HR 4790 and what we can do to promote this legislation at a forum scheduled for 2 p.m. March 21 at the Birmingham Unitarian Church, 38651 Woodward Ave., Bloomfield Hills. No charge for this event.  For more info, call 248-549-5170.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)